Quick and easy planters

It’s the third week of the One Room Challenge™ and we are right on schedule!

We didn’t get much done this week, but that’s okay! We needed to wait for our concrete slab to cure a bit before moving on to the next part of the project, so the timing was perfect for us to go on a long weekend getaway. We went camping in Arkansas and it was the perfect break away from our computers.

Since we typically dedicate our weekends to DIY, we had to fit a small project in on a weeknight this week. These planters came together really quickly and easily.

We started with these Corten steel planters. Corten planters develop a rusty patina which acts as a protective coating over time, but we sped up the process by spraying the planters with vinegar.

I sprayed about 4 rounds of vinegar with allowing it to dry in between coats. It rusts right before your eyes! It’ll still patina more with time, but it already has that beautiful worn-in look after just a couple hours.

The next step in this project was to build a base around the bottom of the planter. This is unnecessary, but we wanted to give the planters a little bit of height. We wrapped the bottom lip of the planter with 2×6 cedar boards for a simple and sleek riser.

We fastened the sides of the wood with screws and friction fit it over the planter.

The very last step was filling these up! We filled the planters with raised bed soil and serissa snow rose plants that we picked up at our local nursery. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us before our vision for our outdoor oasis comes together, but we’re making good progress!

Make sure to check back next week and also follow along with everyone else participating in the challenge!

This post was written for the  Collected Eclectic blog.

Collected Eclectic was a passion project focused on recording the process as Grace and Michael van Meurer transformed their builder grade home in to something special.

124 blog posts were published between 2018 and 2021. Explore the complete Collected Eclectic archive here

Learn more about the project here

Suggested Reading